The Florida Department of Education is pleased to announce the Summer Literacy Institute taking place Tuesday, June 21 to Thursday, June 23, at the Caribe Royale Resort in Orlando, Florida. The Summer Literacy Institute will celebrate educators and support districts and schools with effectively implementing Prekindergarten (PreK) through Grade 12 literacy instruction, aligned to the new K-12B.E.S.T. English Language Arts (ELA) Standards and the Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards (FELDS) for Four Year Olds to Kindergarten.
The goals of the Summer Literacy Institute include:
1) Increasing knowledge of the K-12 B.E.S.T. ELA Standards and the FELDS for Four Year Olds to Kindergarten Bridge to the K-3 B.E.S.T. ELA Standards;
2) Increasing knowledge of the science of reading and evidence-based practices;
3) Gaining access to new resources to effectively implement evidence-based practices and the B.E.S.T. ELA Standards;
4) Gaining access to at-home reading resources and evidence-based family engagement activities; and
5) Building a community of literacy learners and leaders PreK through Grade 12.
The institute will be organized to provide professional learning for:
1) School-level literacy leadership teams (school administrators, literacy coaches and lead teachers); and
2) Early childhood and district literacy leaders responsible for B.E.S.T. ELA Standards and FELDS implementation.
District superintendents will identify early childhood and district literacy leaders and school-level literacy leadership teams to participate in the Summer Literacy Institute, and Reading Achievement Initiative for Scholastic Excellence (RAISE) schools must be prioritized when selecting elementary participants.
We look forward to your participation in the Summer Literacy Institute!
Please note: We are no longer accepting new sponsorships or vendor submissions. However, please contact us if you have any questions for next year's 2023 Summer Literacy Institute or would like more information about how you can support literacy programming statewide. Thank you for supporting our students and teachers in Florida!